Suggestions for Meals
- Muesli, porridge, nutrigrain, all bran, sultana branflakes, weetabix, etc., plus skimmed or semi-skimmed milk, marvel etc.
- Soaked dried fruits (prunes, apples, apricots, figs etc.). Sultanas or raisins may be sprinkled on cereal.
- Fresh fruit (grapefruit or try apple or banana in cereal)
- Linusit Gold may be sprinkled on cereal. (NB. if you are just starting to take Linusit Gold start off by adding 1tsp to food and gradually building it up if needed).
- Wholemeal bread or toast – choose wholemeal or high fibre varieties with “high in polyunsaturates” margarine.
- Home made vegetable soup (use low fat stock) with wholegrain pulses and cereals such as peas, beans, lentils, brown rice, barley. Gold may be sprinkled onto soup.
- Crispbread or crackers with “high in polyunsaturates” margarine and a savoury spread or low fat cheese topping.
- Sandwiches with lean beef, chicken, turkey, tuna or salmon (tinned in brine) or boiled egg (maximum 3 a week)
- Suitable lean meat, low fat cheese, fresh fish or shellfish, sardines in olive oil, tuna or salmon (tinned in sunflower oil) with seasonal salad with a dressing of vinegar and a suitable oil (e.g. sunflower, safflower, soya, corn, linseed). Linusit Gold may be sprinkled on salad.
- Home made soup (not cream of or high fat) or consomme, fresh fruit or vegetable juice, fresh grapefruit, seasonal salad with sunflower oil and vinegar dressing.
- Savoury stew or casserole with chicken, turkey, rabbit, fish, game and vegetables.
- Savoury meat or pulse loaves.
- Homemade beef (very lean), bean or nut burgers.
- Homemade liver casserole.
- Homemade liver pate with wholemeal toast and salad dressing.
- Grilled or baked fish with low fat sauce (e.g. tomato, herb).
- Homemade fish pie or fish cakes.
- Kedgeree made with brown rice.
- Roast chicken or turkey with seasonal salad and dressing or lightly cooked vegetables and jacket potatoes.
- Grilled herring in oatmeal – brush with sunflower oil or similar while cooking.
- Soused herring or rollmops – preferably home prepared, but if not check the ingredients.
- Grilled trout – serve sprinkled with lemon juice.
- Grill or shallow fry ( in sunflower or similar) white fish in homemade breadcrumbs.
- Fresh fruit salad.
- Low Fat (flora) cheese and wholemeal crackers.
- Carob coated rice cakes.
- Original crunchy bars (N.B high in sugar).
- Fruit sorbets (N.B high in sugar).
- Baked bananas.
- Baked apples with sultanas and unrefined sugar.
- Wholemeal pancakes (made with skimmed milk and wholemeal flour) stuffed with fresh fruit.
- Fresh pineapple, melon or other seasonal fruits (e.g. peaches, grapes, strawberries).
- Stewed fresh fruit (e.g. apples).
- Shape fromage frais (a low fat cream cheese/fruit dessert).
- Low fat yoghurts with added fresh fruit.
- Fresh or dried fruits e.g. apples, grapes, melon, raisins.
- Nuts (not peanuts, cashews or coconut).
- Seeds e.g. sunflower seeds.
- Wholemeal biscuits (check fat content).
- Raw vegetables.
- Sesame snaps (N.B high in sugar).
- Tea or coffee (decaffeinated) with skimmed milk (any sugar should be unrefined).
- Herbal infusions (e.g. rosehip, camomile, peppermint).
- Grain “coffees” (e.g. barley cup).
- “Low sugar” soft drinks.
- Fresh unsweetened fruit juices (these can be diluted with mineral water).
- Use polyunsaturated vegetable oil, margarines labelled as such rather than butter and hard margarine.
- Almond or hazelnut chocolate spread rather than peanut.
- “No sugar” jams such as Whole Earth or Robertsons.